STEEL is driving the future of transportation
The steel industry has a long history of developing highly optimized, cost-effective, and mass-efficient solutions with global automakers. Researchers have examined the vital factors that could make steel the ultimate choice of manufacturing material for future modes of transport. In one word we can say that steel is the material of choice for sustainable transportation.
The broad spectrum of steel grades facilitates automotive designers to develop mass and cost efficient solutions. Questions may come, why steel? We need not go to search for the answer since the researchers explained the key results. Technologies like hydro-forming, roll-forming, hot stamping are some of the innovations in steel. Advancements in steel and mixed materials enable the joining technologies, which plays a key role in sustainability.
Steel permits us more architectural creativity. It also allows us freedom to address forthcoming integration and architecture challenges with remarkable structural performance. Flexible modular architectures allow different configurations, needs and uses. Due to the high availability of steel, extensible production in volumes is also possible.
In this modern interconnected world, steel is the material of choice. We only need to know “why”. Let’s take a moment to look at why steel is gaining confidence with car manufacturers, designers as well as owners.
FLEXIBILITY OF DESIGN
- flexibility and unique formability of the steel helps futuristic designers
- creativity to the fullest in driving functionality and aesthetics
- steel can provide the required strength while keeping the material thin
- due to thin materials, it leads more space in the passenger cabin for new seating arrangements
- steel manages the loads in multiple and diverse seating configurations associated with passengers
- designers have more space to use their creativity by removing the steering wheel, foot pedals and conventional dashboard
- light weighting is important in order to balance small sizes with maximum robustness
- the steel industry continued to develop products which is cost effective, fuel efficient and safe
- advancements in technology increased the strength of steel in a vehicle’s body structure can reach 1,700 MegaPascals, which is 9 times more stronger than what it was 50 years ago
- due to the unique property of steel, it has both crash energy absorption and deflection
- steel is used in battery housing provides structural integrity for crash management
- steel also preventing battery pack damage and leakage
- in near future, all vehicles on the road may fully communicate with each other via connected devices
- vehicles that meet the highest environmental requirements will be favoured, in the world of climatic changes
- steel is fully recyclable and has the best environmental performance over its entire life cycle unlike aluminum and carbon fiber
- autonomous vehicles meet the highest environmental requirements, thus preferred
DURABLE AND COST EFFECTIVE
- due to the longevity of steel, it lasts for a long time so it is highly cost effective
- people want durable, lasting vehicles that are affordable to own
- properties like durability encourages fleet owners for ride sharing services
- long lasting benefits of the vehicles makes it profitable
- the superior acoustic performance of steel provides a quieter cabin to passengers, resulting an pleasurable ride experience
- for electric vehicles, Electrical steels are essential material in the construction of generators and motors
- futuristic Electric mobility is not possible without steel
- we are speeding towards the era electric vehicles, where driver just simply sit back and enjoy the views
- electrical steel are ready to give a new kind of freedom to the driver
In the ultimate analysis, it is obvious that steel is the most environment-friendly and recyclable material. With which we can build cars as per usefulness. Moreover, steel can be infinitely recycled, at the beginning and at the end of its production. At a sustainability point of view, this powerful alloy has a massive advantage over other materials. The best steel is the center to this revolutionary change due to the factors present in it. In short, we can say that steel will be central to this revolutionary change due to its durability, strength and environmental advantages.